Skip to Main Content
University of Zululand Library Guides
What is EndNote Library?
- A library is a collection of references. Each reference is stored as an individual record with different data fields for author, title, etc.
- We recommend that you store all your references in one or two libraries and use Groups and Group Sets (see below) to organize and categorize references.
- While there is no limit to the number of references that can be stored in one library, we suggest that the number not exceed 100,000.
Creating a New Library
- Open EndNote app. In the dialog box that appears, select Create a new library OR from the menu bar, select File > New.
- The New Reference Library dialog box will appear. Enter a name for your new library. EndNote will automatically add the .ENL extension, which stands for EndNote Library.
- Choose where you would like to save your new library.
- Click the Save button. The new EndNote library appears.
Opening a Library
- Open EndNote app. In the dialog box that appears, select Open an existing library OR from the menu bar, select File > Open.
- A list of libraries that you have previously opened will be displayed. Select the library that you wish to open. If the library does not appear in the list, click Open Library...
- The Select a Reference Library dialog box will appear. Locate your library and click the Open button.