Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
University of Zululand Library Guides
What Are Reference Sources?
Reference materials are various sources (e.g. dictionaries, encyclopedias, almanacs, atlases, bibliographies, handbooks, indexes, etc.) that provide background information or quick facts on any given topic.
Reference sources can be general or specialized (available in print and/or electronic formats) and cannot be checked out of the library.
UNIZULU Reference Sources
Gale Reference Complete
Gale connects libraries to learning and learners to libraries
For more than 60 years, Gale, a Cengage Company has partnered with libraries around the world to empower the discovery of knowledge and insights by all people, for all purposes. Knowledge is power, and the act of learning is empowering. Access to knowledge offers learners an opportunity to discover the motivation and inspiration vital to making a positive contribution in not only their own lives, but the rest of the world. That’s why Gale provides libraries with original and curated content, as well as the modern research tools that are crucial in connecting libraries to learning, and learners to libraries (https://www.gale.com/intl/about)
Oxford Reference provides access to Oxford University Press' dictionaries, Companions and Encyclopedia
Fast and easy access to high-quality, comprehensive information. The combination of Encyclopedia Britannica and Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and Thesaurus, magazines and periodicals.
AccessScience is an authoritative and dynamic online resource that contains incisively written, high-quality reference material covering all major scientific disciplines.
An overview of AccessScience
• MORE THAN 8700 ARTICLES covering all major scientific disciplines are continuously reviewed and updated
• 115,000-PLUS DEFINITIONS from the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms are built into search results
• HUNDREDS OF BRIEFINGS about relevant concepts in science and technology provide a great starting place for research topic ideas
• 3000 BIOGRAPHIES cover well-known scientific figures
• 19,000-PLUS IMAGES AND ANIMATIONS illustrate key concepts in engaging and meaningful ways
• VIDEO BIOGRAPHIES highlight the life and work of award-winning scientists
• PERSISTENT LINKS TO CITABLE LITERATURE support research assignments through primary sources of information
• INTERACTIVE CITATION GENERATOR saves time and effort when preparing papers
• CURRICULUM MAPS tied to core content can enrich faculty lesson plans
• OFF-CAMPUS ACCESS allows easy, anytime access outside of institutional IP ranges
Video tutorials :
AccessScience Navigating the Site and Using Content
Tips for Students Using AccessScience
UNIZULU Agricultural Reference Sources
Encyclopedia of Soil Science by
Call Number: 630.3 GAU
Publication Date: 2002-08-01
A dictionary of agriculture and allied terminology by
Call Number: R 630.3 DIC
Publication Date: Michigan State University Press,
Agricultural terminology by
Call Number: R630.14 SIN
Publication Date: 2004-11-15